Thursday, October 27, 2005

A Praise in the Darkness

Last night was a hard night for me. I didn’t sleep very well. I must admit, I was under a great deal of fear and anxiety. Is it just me, or do fears seem to grow when the lights are out, and you are trying to sleep? Anyone who reads my blog on a regular basis knows that my family and I are going through an extremely hard time right now financially. It sounds almost selfish to me to mention that, because these are hard financial times right now. I don’t like to talk about that in this blog, though, because it’s my desire to minister to those who read this. Well, that is still my plan.

When I tried to go to sleep last night, as I’ve already said, fear took a death grip on me. I lay in bed in anxiety, praying to God to help me. It felt like every demonic force in hell was attacking me. So, I got up, walked out into my darkened living room, and began to seek God. I prayed, I cried out to Him, I praised Him just because He’s God. I then turned the light on, and grabbed my Bible, and began to read aloud the Word of God. Because I know that I’m not the only one who deals with such fear, I decided to type out some scriptures I read last night that helped.

“But you, O Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, and the one who lifts my head high. I cried out to the Lord, and he answered me from his holy mountain. Interlude. I lay down and slept. I woke up in safety, for the Lord was watching over me.” Ps. 3:3-5

“I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.” Ps. 34:4

“Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee” Isaiah 26:3

“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” John 14:27

“Now the God of Peace be with you all. Amen” Rom. 15:33

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” Phil. 4:6-7

Read these verses of scripture. If you have some more, read those as well. Feel free to post scripture in the comment section. Remember, though we all deal with certain degrees of fear and anxiety, press through and trust God. True faith, as I’ve said before, doesn’t eradicate difficulty, in weathers it. God knows what you and I need, and He has said He would meet those needs. So, don’t give up, and don’t let fear paralyze you. Lift up praise to God, and thank Him for what He’s doing in your life. Continue to pray for me, and I will for you. God bless, friends.

2 comments:

Henry Haney said...

Brother,
I'm somewhat ashamed to admit this, but maybe through my confession, someone else will step forward and get free. About 5 years ago I had about a 3 month period of almost constant anxiety/panic attacks. They ran every test on me in the book and finally decided I had too much stress. I thank and praise God that He delivered me from that whole episode- I truly thought I was going to die. But He is awesome and I'm thankful. You would be shocked to know how common this is among those called to ministry -thank God for His grace!
~Henry

Pastor Jeff said...

Last night wasn't so much an anxiety attack- I get those too occasionally. When I have one, its weird, because I can't put a finger on why I'm anxious. Just super fast heart rate that makes me dizzy. And forget about getting any sleep. Last night felt like an all out attack. Fear about some specifics in my life right now. But I praise God that he delivered you, because that means He can set me free too. I may just be the one who gets free from your confession. Thanks, Bro!