Thursday, October 20, 2005

Accepted in the Beloved!

“…to the praise of the glory of His grace, wherein He hath made us accepted in the beloved” Ephesians 1:6

Before I get into the devotion today, please continue to pray for me concerning my post from yesterday, “A Little Weak Today”. I am still battling fear as I mentioned both in the original blog, and in the comments as people were reaching out with encouragement and prayers. But I am reaching through the fear and anxiety today to share what I believe God has placed on my heart.

I was listening to an online sermon yesterday. I had heard this message before, but something this time really spoke to me. I won’t quote word for word what was preached, but I believe this is a message we all need to hear. It deals with God’s acceptance of us.

How many of us have found ourselves on the wounded end of an offense? How many of us have maybe even told the offending party, “I forgive you, but I can’t trust you.” Or, “I forgive you, but I can’t have the same relationship anymore”. That is forgiveness without acceptance. I think that as Christians, there is a fear that sometimes lurks in the back of our minds that says, “Sure, God forgives me, but I’ve messed up too much to have the same relationship with Him”. It doesn’t make sense to us on a human level, because we have too hard a time doing that with each other. A wife may forgive her husband for adultery, but trust and acceptance is not an instant thing. But God accepts us immediately. He says to “come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need” (Heb. 4:16). He tells us that we have “boldness to enter the holiest by the blood of Jesus” (see Heb. 10:19). He not only forgives us, He accepts us!

I think of the Prodigal son. Here was a young man that insulted his dad by demanding his share of the inheritance. Basically, he told his dad that he couldn’t wait for him to die. He wanted his money ASAP! He went off and blew the cash, and found himself in poverty. While feeding hogs, he decided to go home, and try to have his dad hire him as a servant. As he was going home, his father saw him. The boy recognized the forgiveness in the hug and kiss. He knew that his dad had forgiven his sin. But what he did not expect was the ring, the robe, and the shoes. He didn’t expect the party, and the fatted calf. He did not expect to be accepted back as a son. But that was what he was, a son.

Friends, no matter how we mess us, let us remember that God always accepts us. He gives us access to Himself. You may have wandered into the mire of the pigpen, but there are new shoes, a ring, and a robe of righteousness waiting for you! Your Father has accepted you! God bless.

3 comments:

Henry Haney said...

I'm currently reading a book titled " Love, Acceptance, and Forgiveness" by Jerry Cook and Stanley Baldwin. This goes right along with my reading today. Good post MP

Pastor Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pastor Jeff said...

This was from a sermon preached by an A/G pastor in Detroit. It's called "If God is for us". Hope it blessed you like it did me. Here's a link to the church's site. You'll find all sorts of sermons under "downloads"
http://revivaltab.org